Are you looking for a career that will make a difference in the lives of families in Oneida, Herkimer and Madison counties?
MVCAA is currently recruiting individuals to work with at risk youth, preschool age children and their families Mohawk Valley Community Action Agency, Inc. (MVCAA) is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V. MVCAA Offers a Generous Benefit Package!
Boonville, NY; Camden, NY; Morrisville, NY; Oneida, NY; Utica, NY & Waterville, NY
The Assistant Teacher will work collaboratively with the classroom team, parent(s)/guardian(s) and volunteers to ensure the successful operation of the classroom of children 3 – 5 years of age to implement the curriculum to achieve outcomes for children. Assumes the role of the Teacher in his/her absence.
- Provide direct and competent supervision to ensure the safety and security of children at all times in accordance with Head Start, NY State Office of Children and Families regulations in the classroom, during outdoor experiences and field trips.
- Establish positive, trustworthy, and productive relationships with children and families.
- Attends to the physical needs of the children (diapering, toileting, feeding, resting, rocking and holding children).
- Implements a child-centered, developmentally appropriate curriculum and learning environment that encourages positive social interaction, active engagement in learning, and self-motivation to promote development in all domains for children.
- Provide children with a consistent classroom routine in accordance with the Creative Curriculum.
- Responsible to have effective interactions with children in accordance with the CLASS observation tool.
- Responsible for development and implementation of 1 week of lesson plans in cooperation with the Teacher and parents/guardians.Display plans for parents, substitutes, volunteers and visitors in the classroom.
- Assists the Teacher with completion of developmental and behavioral screenings on all children within 45 days of child’s entrance into program, utilizing results for individualized planning and referrals as needed.
- Assists the Teacher with developing an individual plan for each child including goal setting based on identified needs and activities to meet established child outcomes.
- Distributes weekly homework to each child and family that provides opportunities for children to progress in their individual goals.Collects homework weekly, encourages family engagement with home activities, tracks and submits homework monthly.
- Supports children in progression of School Readiness goals and objectives.
- Assists Teacher with integrating Individual Education Plans (IEP’s) for children with disabilities.
- Assists the Teacher with collecting and recording children’s progress to complete accurate assessments and individualize curriculum.
- Assist the Teacher with analyzing classroom level child outcome data report and implement aplan to promote greater outcomes for children in partnership with parent(s)/guardian(s).
- Addresses challenging behaviors by observing to determine the possible causes of the behavior, implementing preventive developmentally appropriate measures, teaching the child new social and communication skills and partnering with families to support the child at home.
- Implements Second Step Curriculum to promote children’s social and emotional skills.
- Eat nutritionally prepared meals with the children as a curriculum activity, to model good nutrition and proper social skills for preschool children.
- Encourage and identify parents/guardians wanting to volunteer in the classroom, work as substitutes or in other volunteer activities to the Human Resource office.
- Secures substitute for all absences.
- Completes custodial duties not provided by the lease agreement.
- Understands, generates and documents in-kind and other allowable costs toward the non-federal share requirement.
- Demonstrates commitment to mission, values and policies in the performance of daily duties.
- Understands and supports MVCAA, Inc. Supervision of Children policy.
- Performs other duties as assigned to ensure the successful execution of the program.
- Associate, Bachelor or Advanced degree in Early Childhood Education preferred or related field with specific early childhood coursework and experience working in a classroom setting
- Or current Preschool Child Development Associate (CDA) credential with two (2) years experience working with preschool children in a classroom setting
- Ability to travel to all sites, trainings and home visits as necessary and required
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality and privacy
- Adheres to agency personnel policies and procedures
- Attends trainings and meetings as required
- Ability to maintain records
- Basic computer literacy in email, word processing and internet navigation
- Knowledge and experience working with families and children with low income and diverse cultures
- Background check, fingerprint screen and annual physical exam and TB
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs., climb aflight of stairs several times a day and get down on the floor and interact with children
How to Apply
Complete and submit with your resume to email@example.com